Friday, October 5

Day 9 & 10 - Freezing in Haiti

The last 36 hours have not been the greatest. Qade awoke yesterday with a massive headache and fever. He tried to get himself around but just couldn't do it. By the time I left in the morning to go to the creche he was burning up. Jason stayed at the guest house with him to keep an eye on him. 

My time at the creche was different since it was only me. I tried to explain to the kids that Qade was sick as they were all asking where Papa Blanc was. B was very quiet and probably processing the fact that we didn't make it back the afternoon before and now Papa and Qade both didn't come that morning. She's about lost interest in the items we've brought as we have pretty much done them all. We took time to watch more videos on my phone, look at pictures and play some games. I did chase her around and got her to laugh. We also did some puzzles and bubbles for awhile. It was quite calm for most of it though and I could feel myself starting to get sick. 

I took a baggy of fruit loops to her yesterday and she just couldn't wait to eat them. We had to wait until the other kids went back to school or they'd all want them. She sat down and enjoyed those like she'd never had them before, which is probably likely. It was sweet to see the joy in her face over something so small. 

She went to eat around 12:30 and it started to rain out where I was at. So I went inside where she was eating. I sat on the stairs and played with the kids as they finished their food. We sang songs, danced and B showed them some videos on my phone. One video is of Jayla and she says 'hi B'. B was waving back to her! Another video was my family singing happy birthday to my sister. As it was playing she sang the entire song in English! It was so precious. Then the kids got silly and wanted all kinds of videos and pictures taken. They were putting on the backpack I brought and acting cool for pictures. We had silly faces, serious ones and just great smiles! Then B asked to go back outside but also wanted two other girls to join us. My heart melted to see she did have some close friends and we asked the nanny if that was okay. We ventured back outside into the courtyard and this little girl melted my heart again. She pointed to the banana in my backpack. She wanted to share it with her friends! We got it out and split it three ways. Then she shared her stickers as well. I also got some sweet videos of her singing songs in Creole. 

It was a long morning for me as I didn't get picked up until almost 2:30. I could tell I wasn't well and needed to rest. When I got back Qade was worse! Thank God for the other family that is here right now. They had tylenol so we could rotate meds for him and a cooling rag as well. None of us went back to the creche yesterday afternoon, mainly because of lack of a ride for Jason. 

Qade stayed in bed all day and is still there now. However, his fever has broke and his energy is returning. I was in bed most of last evening and this morning as well. I feel much better now and am so grateful! Thank you for praying. Freezing while in Haiti is certainly an odd feeling. We both had sweatshirts and other layers which has not been our typical attire for this 90 degree weather! 

I'm anxiously awaiting Jason to return to hear about his morning and praying we can all return this afternoon for a short while. Tomorrow we will go to the market to purchase some new toys and other items for our last week here. We also plan to replace that soccer ball that bounced out earlier this week. The family here now will leave tomorrow, heading home with their two boys. It's been an honor to watch them interact together. A great family and one I hope we can stay connected too!

One last thing...on Wednesday I had brought a young girls iPad back to the guest house with me to download and update some of her games. They don't have WiFi at the creche and so she asked me to do it. I did as much as I could before it died. When I returned it to her yesterday she was so grateful. She even made me bracelet out of rubber bands and beads. It was so sweet of her! She has a family waiting for their final steps to happen so they can take her home. She will be a great addition! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

We are blessed by your feedback!