Saturday, October 6

kriz = seizure; yea that happened (day 11)

Seizure was not a word I wanted to learn in Creole and as I'm typing this I'm still holding back some tears. 

Today we opted not to go see B. Qade hasn't eaten much in three days and has very little energy. The fever just won't stay away. I'm also exhausted and sore. Jason had just started with the fever overnight and so we thought it would be best to stay. After I informed our ride that we would not be going I went upstairs, laid down and cried. My heart is breaking as it longs to spend as much time as possible with B and yet this illness is just holding us back. It's frustrating, really makes me angry and has Qade desiring to be home. Home certainly sounds nice when you aren't feeling well. I actually considered flying him home early but this trip is the first he's ever flown so I couldn't see sending him home on his own. 

We all spent the morning just relaxing and trying to keep fluids in us. Lunch came around noon today and as we all sat down we looked at each other knowing we just weren't hungry. I poured us each some Coke and then Qade left the table briefly. As soon as he left Jason didn't look well. His eyes were rolling back and he wasn't responding to me. Yep, he was seizing. He was sitting upright in the chair and didn't move around too much. I was able to hold his head and yelled for Qade to run downstairs for help. The ladies all came running up. By the time they returned he had mostly come around. I made him stay awake for awhile and put a cold rag on his head and arms. The ladies asked if he needed the hospital and I just wasn't sure. He started sweating profusely and I knew his fever broke, which was likely what caused the seizure. One of the ladies got someone on the phone that spoke English so I could explain what happened. He understood and said he'd be over to check on us. Our appetites were definitely not there and so we went into the other room to just wait for him to arrive. 

The staff here is incredible! They do whatever they can to make sure you are comfortable. We feel terrible we aren't eating their food, but hope they understand. Each of them checked in individually and offered juice, lemon water to cool the skin and a fan. As scary as it was, I do believe we are in a great place. The hospital isn't far away either, so if we have to go that helps.

The gentleman came to check on us and lectured us. 'You need to eat! You need to eat!'  We knew he was right, it was just so hard to force it down. Nothing tastes the same. He asked if Qade needed to go to the hospital and again, I just wasn't sure. I'm nervous about dehydration or worse. We decided to go to the market and pick out whatever sounded good. If that didn't help us then we'd reconsider. Lemon ice never tasted so good! Okay that's probably not true, but it certainly tasted better than anything else I had recently eaten. 

We've already had dinner, which was rather early but likely due to the fact that we didn't eat lunch. The guys ate ramen noodles and I ate the broth with some gluten free crackers we purchased. Oh yeah, most stuff here is more expensive, especially the gluten free items. We're all trying to stay awake a little longer in hopes that we sleep hard tonight and wake up much better. 

Today was scary, terrifying and all kinds of thoughts ran through my mind in a short time. A hospital in a foreign country just didn't seem like a good idea. I was so glad Qade left the room and didn't see his father seize. I'm also glad that it happened then, when I was there, he was upright and he didn't fall off the chair or hurt himself. I'm so grateful he seems okay and that it didn't last longer. I'm still trying to process though. This was not our plan, but somehow it's the plan. 

"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and care called according to his purpose for them." Romans 8:28

Continued prayers please! Pray also for B and all the kids as I know I was not well when I was there with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are blessed by your feedback!